If you have dry skin, you know the drill: your skin feels tight, itchy, and flaky, no matter what you do. You might think that you’re doing something wrong in your skin care routine, but the truth is, there are a few extra steps you need to take to properly care for your dry skin. In this blog post, we’ll share the ultimate skin care routine for dry skin. From choosing the right cleanser to using a humidifier at night, these tips will help you get your dry skin under control.
Causes of dry skin
Dry skin is a common skin condition that can be caused by a number of different factors. Here are some of the most common causes of dry skin. These tend to be internal or external factors:
Dehydration is one of the most common causes of dry skin. When the body is dehydrated, it doesn’t have enough water to maintain proper moisture levels in the skin. This can lead to dry, flaky, and irritated skin.
Cold weather and low humidity levels can also cause dry skin. When the air is cold and dry, it strips moisture from the skin, leaving it feeling dry and irritated. It doesn't always need to be cold, harsh winters that get your skin feeling dry and achy... It can also be hot dry desert-like temperatures too! No matter where you are, if there is a dry climate, you may experience dry skin because of it.
Certain medical conditions:
Some medical conditions, such as eczema and psoriasis, can cause dry skin. Depending on the severity of skin conditions like psoriasis, you may be able to help alleviate it with regular moisturizing and hydration. If you have one of these conditions but it's really serious, you may need to see a dermatologist for treatment.
Using harsh soaps or cleansers:
Harsh soaps and cleansers can strip moisture from the skin, making it feel dry and irritated. If you have dry skin, look for gentle, moisturizing cleansing products. Always check your product's ingredient label to see if there are any harsh chemicals being used. You may want to opt for a cleanser and/or soap that has more of a hydrating base. These include ingredients such as olive oil, jojoba, glycerin, aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, or shea butter!
The best skincare routine for dry skin
If you have dry skin, you know how important it is to find the right skincare routine to help keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Here is the ultimate skincare routine for dry skin that will help you get the best results:
1. Cleanser: Start by cleansing your face with a gentle cleanser that won't strip your skin of its natural oils. Look for a cleanser that contains hydrating ingredients like glycerin or hyaluronic acid.
2. Toner: After cleansing, apply a toner to help restore your skin's pH balance and prep it for the next step in your routine. Choose a toner that contains soothing ingredients like chamomile or aloe vera.
3. Serum: Next, apply a serum designed specifically for dry skin. Look for a serum that contains hyaluronic acid or glycerin to help lock in moisture.
4. Moisturizer: Finish up by applying a rich moisturizer to seal in all of the hydration from the previous steps. Choose a moisturizer that contains emollient ingredients like shea butter or jojoba oil.
5. Protect with SPF: The absolute last thing you need to do in your dry skin care routine is to protect your skin with SPF. Try to find a naturally derived one (although it may be difficult at times). If you're in a bind and can't get a natural sunscreen, any SPF is better than no SPF in our books.
What products to use for dry skin
If your skin is dry, you need to be extra careful about the products you use. Choose a cleanser that won't strip your skin of its natural oils, and follow up with a hydrating toner (we've got just the kind of facial cleanser you might be looking for). Moisturize twice a day, morning and night, using a hydrating cream that includes the ingredients above. And don't forget to exfoliate gently and semi-regularly to remove dead skin cells that can make your complexion look dull.
When it comes to treatment or serum application, look for a product that contains glycerin or hyaluronic acid, which will help to draw moisture into the skin. Try out our Splash Hyaluronic Acid Serum for quick acting hydration.
For toning, choose something gentle that won't irritate dry skin. Rosewater is a good option, as it's both hydrating and calming. When it comes to moisturizing, you need to find a product that's heavy enough to quench your dry skin's thirst. Look for creams and ointments rather than lotions, and make sure they're packed with nourishing ingredients like shea butter, jojoba oil, or glycerin. We know our choice... It's going to 100% be our Revive Retinol Cream. Yes, there's 1% retinol in it, but luckily this cream is so packed with natural hydrating ingredients that your skin will feel extremely soft, nourished and even get a little extra love in the fine line department.
Tips for preventing dry skin
Assuming that you have dry skin, the tips below are geared towards preventing your condition from worsening and keeping your skin hydrated.
- Apply moisturizer immediately after cleansing: This will help to lock in moisture and prevent your skin from drying out. Be sure to choose a moisturizer that is right for your skin type - if you're unsure, ask a sales assistant or beauty consultant for assistance. We spoke about it above, but usually natural hydrating ingredients will work well!
- Drink plenty of water: Stay hydrated by drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day. Even when you don't feel "thirsty" take the time to sip on water throughout your day. This will help to keep your skin cells plump and prevent them from drying out.
- Use a humidifier: If the air in your home is particularly dry, consider running a humidifier to add some moisture back into the air. This will help to reduce the amount of evaporation that occurs on your skin and keep it hydrated.
If you have dry skin, following the tips in this article will help you get your skin care routine right. Remember to use a gentle cleanser, treat your skin with serums, and moisturize often. You should also consider using a humidifier in your home to keep the air moist and help prevent your skin from drying out. By following these tips, you can achieve and maintain healthy, hydrated skin all year round. See you next time!